While Koh Phangan might be best known for its beach parties, there’s a huge amount to do on this beautiful and interesting island. From snorkelling and diving to Muay Thai, kiteboarding and more, we’ve listed the best things to do on Koh Phangan below.
Beautiful Waters © linvoyage
- Koh Phangan is one of Thailand’s biggest islands, with a huge selection of beaches on all of the island’s coasts. Beaches on Koh Phangan range from reasonably developed, popular areas like Haad Rin to the quiet, almost completely untouched beaches of the island’s northern coast.
- Haad Rin, which is best known for its legendary Full Moon Party, is one of Koh Phangan’s most popular beach areas. The beach itself is divided into two sections: the more popular and much more swimmer-friendly Haad Rin Nok and the quieter, less beautiful Haad Rin Nai.
- Haad Yuan, a quiet beach to the north of Haad Rin that’s accessible by longtail boat, is one of the island’s most popular day trip beaches. Other popular beaches on Koh Phangan include Thong Nai Pan — two laid back beaches in the northeast of the island.
- Koh Phangan’s western coast is home to most of the island’s least developed beaches. Haad Yao offers a great mix of tourist-focused convenience and natural beauty, while Mae Haad is widely regarded as one of the island’s most isolated and beautiful beaches.
- Many of Koh Phangan’s best beaches are accessible only on foot or by boat. Haad Khuad, or Bottle Beach, is a small beach in Koh Phangan’s far north with crystal clear water and amazing white sand that can only be accessed by a rugged jungle trail or longtail boat.
- Whether you like your beaches convenient and surrounded by resorts or quiet, peaceful and as far from civilization as possible, Koh Phangan’s diverse collection of beaches is sure to please.
Things To Do On Koh Phangan
Best known for its beach parties, Koh Phangan has a huge amount of activities from snokelling and diving to Muay Thai, kiteboard, and plenty more.
There are two ways to go snorkelling on Koh Phangan: as part of a guided tour to other islands and sites in the area, such as Koh Tao and Angthong Marine Park, or right off the beach. We’ve listed the best options for snorkelling on Koh Phangan below:
Around Koh Phangan
- Many of Koh Phangan’s beaches are great for snorkelling. You’ll find the best snorkelling in the northwest of the island, particularly on Mae Haad and around Koh Ma. Several of the beaches along Koh Phangan’s eastern coastline also have deep, clear water that’s ideal for snorkelling.
- Good snorkelling spots include Haad Yuan, which is a short boat ride from Haad Rin, and Haad Yao on Koh Phangan’s west coast. As Haad Yao is quite a shallow beach, you’ll need to swim quite far (approximately 70 metres) to the nearby coral reef to see the area’s marine life.
Angthong Marine Park
ANGTHONG MARINE PARK © 23542547@N07
- The best snorkelling around Koh Phangan can be found in Angthong National Marine Park — a protected marine reserve that’s about 150 minutes from Koh Phangan by ferry. Trips to the park by ferry and speedboat can be arranged through several companies on Koh Phangan.
- Most trips to Angthong Marine Park combine snorkelling in the park’s clear water with kayaking and hiking on islands such as Ko Wua Talab. Due to the long trip to and from Angthong Marine Park, visiting the park is usually a full day trip from Koh Phangan.
- Have a look at Safari Boat, Itsaramai or Samui Boat Charter.
- While Koh Phangan itself isn’t a major diving hub, it’s only an hour away from legendary diving destination Koh Tao by ferry. There are a variety of diving companies on Koh Phangan offering trips to Koh Tao and its dive sites, as well as remote sites such as the Chumphon Pinnacle.
- Most beginner dives and training courses visit Koh Tao, where shallow water and good visibility make it possible to dive close to the island. There are also several advanced dive sites close to Koh Phangan for people with extensive experience and scuba certifications.
- Have a look at The Dive Inn, Chaloklum Diving, H20 Scuba or Haad Yao Divers.
Boat Tours and Yachting
- Koh Phangan’s coastline is absolutely beautiful, and there’s no better way to see the island than on an evening cruise. Companies such as Orion Boat Trips and Red Star Sailing offer trips, both group tours and private charters, around Koh Phangan and its surrounding waters.
- Phangan Bicycle Tours
Located in Thong Sala, Phangan Bicycle Tours offers guided bike tours through many parts of Koh Phangan that most tourists never see, from coconut plantations to Buddhist temples, deep jungle and more. The experience is a great way to familiarise yourself with the island.
- There are several Muay Thai gyms on Koh Phangan that offer training to visitors, from absolute beginners to advanced fighters. One-on-one and group training is available from gyms such as Diamond Muay Thai near Ao Nai Wok and Koh Phangan Muay Thai and Fitness Gym in Thong Sala.
- The Challenge Phangan
The Challenge is an outdoor assault course in the northwest of Koh Phangan. Built beside and on a lake, the course is made up of a series of inflatable obstacles similar to those seen on TV challenge shows like Wipeout and Ninja Warrior.
Kiteboarding and Wakeboarding
- Koh Phangan’s southern beaches have shallow water and steady breezes, making them a great place to learn to kiteboard. There are several kiteboarding schools on Koh Phangan that provide lessons and gear rental to beginners and experienced kiteboarders.
- Have a look at Kite Boarding Asia, KiteFlip Kite School or Breeze Kiteboarding.
- Wake Up! Wakeboarding
Wake Up! offers private wakeboarding coaching from Ao Chaloklum, a beach in the north of Koh Phangan. The company uses a Mastercraft X Star wakeboarding boat and operates from one of the most sheltered bays on Koh Phangan, ensuring riders have access to calm water.
Nature, Hiking and Waterfalls
- Just for Fun – Canopy Adventure
Just For Fun Canopy Adventure is a zip line course that sits more than 22 metres above the thick jungle canopy of central Koh Phangan. The course combines zip lines with challenging platforms, bridges and obstacles and is aimed at older children, adolescents and adults.
- Than Sadet Waterfall National Park
One of Thailand’s most naturally beautiful islands, Koh Phangan has several waterfalls that can be reached on foot. Than Sadet Waterfall National Park is a protected natural area in the north of the island with viewpoints and stunning waterfalls visited by members of the Chakri dynasty.
- Khao Ra Hiking
At just over 600 metres above sea level, Khao Ra is the tallest of several hills on Koh Phangan and only just qualifies to be called a mountain. Despite its modest height, the mountain has one of the best viewpoints on Koh Phangan, which can be reached along a challenging jungle trail.
Thai Massage, Spas and Yoga
- Siam Healing Centre
Siam Healing Centre is a Thai massage and yoga centre located in Thong Sala. In addition to a variety of Thai massage and reflexology treatments, the centre offers group classes in yoga and on-site accommodation for students.
- Island Beauty Spa
From eyebrows and nails to waxing and hair treatments, Island Beauty Spa is one of just a few beauty spas on Koh Phangan. Located in Thong Sala, this is the place to go if you feel the need to be pampered and cared for.
- Blooming Lotus Yoga
Located on relaxed and easygoing Haad Yuan, Blooming Lotus Yoga offers group yoga classes in a beautiful studio near the beach. Daily classes and weekly yoga retreats are available, with two group yoga sessions held daily.
Buy Tickets To Koh PhanganYou can buy bus and ferry tickets to Koh Phangan online. Use the search box below to find out departure times, prices and to book online. Enter a different starting point if you're not coming from Bangkok
Koh Phangan Travel Guide:
- Koh Phangan – A Very Quick Travel Guide
- How To Get To Koh Phangan
- Full Moon Party Koh Phangan
- Drugs on Koh Phangan
- Full Moon Party Accommodation on Koh Phangan
- Things To Do On Koh Phangan
- Places To Eat On Koh Phangan
- Koh Phangan Villas For Rent
- Where To Stay On Koh Phangan
- Koh Phangan Day Trips
- Koh Phangan Weather
- Koh Phangan Airport
- Koh Phangan Beaches