Koh Samui has some of the best nightlife of any of Thailand’s islands, with a selection of bars, nightclubs and beachside hangouts that’s beaten only by Phuket. From exclusive hotel lounge bars to exciting nightclubs, there’s a nightlife option on Koh Samui to suit everyone.
Koh Samui © Robin Hickmott
- Most of Koh Samui’s nightlife can be found on the eastern coast of the island, particularly in the areas around Chaweng and Lamai. Bophut, a beach and Fisherman’s Village in the north of the island, also has a good selection of chilled out bars.
- In other parts of the island, most nightlife is limited to beachside bars – many of which can be found even on Koh Samui’s quietest beaches – and high-end bars and lounges in many of the island’s top hotels.
- Below, we’ve listed some of Koh Samui’s best nightlife destinations, from exclusive nightclubs to infamously seedy hangouts in Chaweng and Lamai. Whether you’re seeking a relaxed drink with friends or a legendary night out, give some of the venues listed below a try.
Koh Samui Nightlife Quick Facts
- Most of the hotel bars and upmarket venues in Koh Samui close at around 1:00am, although some may stay open later.
- Go-go bars and nightlife around Soi Green Mango is usually open until 2:00am and occasionally later during high season.
- As a general rule, you’ll find Koh Samui’s wild and crazy nightlife around Chaweng, relaxing and romantic bars in Bophut, and a mix of both on the other beaches.
Nightlife in Chaweng
- Chaweng is Koh Samui’s main nightlife area. With two dedicated nightlife streets (Soi Green Mango and the more laid back Soi Reggae) and a huge selection of bars, Chaweng has the most diverse selection of nightlife options in Koh Samui.
- The most famous nightlife area in Chaweng is Soi Green Mango — a short stretch of discos, go-go bars and beer bars similar to Bangkok’s Soi Cowboy or Patpong. As well as the go-go bars, the Green Mango Club — the largest club on the street — is the main attraction.
- Soi Reggae is another popular nightlife hotspot. Less seedy than Soi Green Mango, Soi Reggae is where you’ll find Petch Buncha Boxing Stadium, Chaweng’s most popular Muay Thai arena, a selection of outdoor beer bars and the area’s iconic Reggae Pub.
- Another popular nightspot in Chaweng is Ark Bar, an outdoor beachfront bar and restaurant that has nightlife fire shows. Loud, wild and fun, it’s one of the best beachside bars on Koh Samui for travellers looking to meet like-minded people and party.
- Chaweng is also the location of the Black Moon and Half Moon parties — two Koh Phangan-style outdoor parties held monthly. The exact locations of the parties vary every month — information is usually easy to find in Chaweng’s beer bars, travel agencies and backpacker guesthouses.
Nightlife in Lamai
- Lamai might have a reputation as the more laid back of Koh Samui’s two most popular beaches, but it still has a great selection of bars for visitors to choose from. Most nightspots in Lamai are calmer, quieter and less crowded than their busier counterparts to the north in Chaweng.
- Lamai Central Plaza, a food court and nightlife centre in the middle of Lamai, is the area’s most popular nightlife spot. The bars start to fill up around 8:00pm, with live Thai boxing shows and a selection of outdoor beer bars and street food stalls.
- Another Lamai favourite, Swing Bar is Lamai’s equivalent to Chaweng’s famous Ark Bar — a big beachside venue with the usual mix of cocktails, local beers and ‘buckets’ concocted from local rum and whiskey. In addition to drinks, Swing Bar has a good menu of Thai and Western dishes.
- Although Lamai’s nightlife is more focused on fun than style, there are a few upmarket options near the beach. The Ocean Club at Beach Republic is an upmarket beachfront lounge with DJs and excellent cocktails, while The Rock Bar is a tiny, hidden beachfront bohemian hangout.
Nightlife in Bophut
- Bophut’s nightlife is very different to what can be found in Chaweng and Lamai. Laid back and peaceful, Bophut has a great selection of beachside hangouts and laid back bars that are ideal for chatting the night away with friends.
- Most of Bophut’s nightlife can be found in and around the area’s famous Fisherman’s Village. A great selection of bars, including Billabong Surf Club and Emerald Irish Bar (which has one of the best views of Koh Phangan in the area) are located on the main Fisherman’s Village street.
- Other good options include Gecko Bar Hill — a hillside pool bar with a fantastic view of the sea a short drive from Bophut Fisherman’s Village. If you prefer a relaxing night out with friends to an unforgettable party, Bophut’s nightlife is sure to match your tastes.
Buy Ferry Tickets To Koh SamuiYou can buy bus and ferry tickets to Koh Samui online. Use the search box below to find out departure times, prices and to book online. Enter a different starting point if you're not coming from Bangkok
Koh Samui Travel Guide:
- Koh Samui – A Very Quick Travel Guide
- How To Get To Koh Samui
- Things To Do On Koh Samui
- Places To Eat On Koh Samui
- Koh Samui Airport
- Where To Stay On Koh Samui
- Koh Samui Villas For Rent
- Koh Samui Nightlife
- Koh Samui Day Trips
- Koh Samui Weather
- Koh Samui Beaches