Although Koh Lipe is one of Thailand’s smallest islands, there’s no shortage of exciting, relaxing and enjoyable things to do. From snorkelling right off the beach to diving, hiking and beach Thai massage treatments, Koh Lipe has a wide range of great activities to suit every traveller.
Sunrise Beach, Koh Lipe © jpdavidsonimages
- Koh Lipe’s beaches are some of the best in Thailand, with beautiful white sand, clear water and incredible views of Tarutao National Marine Park. The island’s beaches are clean and ideal for sunbathing, swimming and relaxation.
- Pattaya Beach is Koh Lipe’s busiest beach, serving as an arrival point for visitors to the island and a location for many of the island’s upmarket resorts. Despite its popularity, it’s still a clean and relaxing place to spend the day.
- Sunrise Beach, located on Koh Lipe’s eastern coast, is the island’s largest beach and a quieter alternative to Pattaya Beach. Sunset Beach, which is on the island’s western coast, has a calm and relaxing atmosphere with a selection of inexpensive resorts.
- In the north of Koh Lipe, you’ll find Karma Beach — a small, isolated beach that has clear water and a gorgeous white sand spit that extends into the Andaman Sea. Since Koh Lipe is relatively small, it’s possible to walk between the island’s main beaches in 10 to 15 minutes.
Things To Do On Koh Lipe
Snorkelling and diving are two of the biggest attractions on Koh Lipe, although there’s lots to do on the island. From dive sites to scenic viewpoints and walks, learn about the best things to do on Koh Lipe.
- Koh Lipe’s calm weather, clear water and beautiful coral means that snorkelling is possible right off the beach. Sunrise Beach offers the best snorkelling on the island, with coral formations near the beach itself and Koh Kra and Koh Usen easily accessible to snorkellers.
- Sunset and Karma Beach also offer good snorkelling, although shallow water makes it difficult to snorkel during low tide. It’s also possible to snorkel at the ends of Pattaya Beach, although boat traffic makes it important to be aware of your surroundings while exploring the water.
- Many of the dive shops on Koh Lipe also offer snorkelling day trips to nearby islands, which are great for seeing a wider variety of marine life.
Paradise Ahoy © alphis
- As part of Tarutao National Marine Park, Koh Lipe is close to some of Southern Thailand’s best diving locations. There are several dive operators on the island offering trips to nearby islands, dive training and day trips, as well as accommodation for dive students.
- There are more than 20 dive sites within easy reach of Koh Lipe, ranging from shallow beginner sites like Stonehenge and Koh Adang to sites like the Yong Hua shipwreck, which are only open to advanced divers.
- Good dive operators on Koh Lipe include Adang Sea Divers and Castaway Divers on Sunrise Beach and Ko Lipe Diving near Pattaya Beach.
Island Day Trips
- Koh Lipe is surrounded by other islands in the Tarutao National Marine Park, many of which are easy to access by longtail or speedboat. Paradise Tours offers snorkelling and island hopping tours to many of the surrounding islands, as well as overnight camping on Koh Rawi.
Koh Adang © 35632217@N05
Hiking on Koh Adang
- Koh Adang is a large, mountainous island that’s visible from Sunset Beach. The island, which is significantly larger than Koh Lipe, is a popular hiking destination that has incredible views over Koh Lipe and other islands in the Tarutao National Marine Park.
- Popular hiking trails include the walk to the Koh Adang Viewpoint and routes to the island’s two waterfalls. Koh Adang is easy to access as part of a group tour or independently by longtail boat from Koh Lipe.
- Koh Lipe’s peaceful beaches are the perfect environment for yoga. Keirita’s Yoga and Diving offers a selection of yoga packages for visitors to Koh Lipe, from short yoga classes to health retreats for long stay guests.
Thai Massage & Spas
- There are lots of spas and massage shops on Koh Lipe offering everything from foot massages to advanced health treatments. For a relaxing massage and spa experience, try the spas in the Sita Beach Resort or Bundhaya Resort, both of which are on Pattaya Beach.