As it’s a small island, Koh Lipe airport does not exist. If you’re travelling to Koh Lipe from Bangkok, Chiang Mai or other major cities in Thailand, you’ll need to fly to Hat Yai Airport, then travel to Pak Bara and onward to Koh Lipe.
Nok Air Bird Airplane © binderdonedat
Hat Yai International Airport is one of Southern Thailand’s major hubs. There are more than 16 flights from Bangkok to Hat Yai every day, as well as daily flights from Chiang Mai, Phuket and Udon Thani. There are also daily flights from Singapore and Kuala Lumpur to Hat Yai.
Domestic airlines that serve the airport include Thai AirAsia, Thai Lion Air, Nok Air and Bangkok Airways. Flights from Singapore are available on Tiger Air, and from Kuala Lumpur on AirAsia.
Getting from Hat Yai Airport to Pak Bara
- If you’re travelling to Koh Lipe from Hat Yai, you will need to catch the ferry or speedboat from Pak Bara. The ferry to Koh Lipe departs from Pak Bara at 11:30 am every day, with afternoon ferries available during the November to April high season.
- The easiest way to get from Hat Yai Airport to Pak Bara is via minibus or taxi. Minibus transfers are available from the airport, with combined tickets including both the minibus transfer and ferry ticket available.
- A cheaper (but more time consuming) way to reach Pak Bara is by taking a minibus from Hat Yai Airport to Hat Yai Train Station, then taking a separate minibus to Pak Bara.
Getting to Koh Lipe from Trang Airport
- If you’re travelling to Koh Lipe between December and April, you can reach the island using the ferry service from Trang. Trang Airport is a small regional airport with several flights daily to and from Bangkok on Nok Air and Thai AirAsia.
- To get to Koh Lipe from Trang, you will need to catch the ferry from Had Yao Pier. Shuttle buses and taxis connect Trang Airport with Had Yao Pier. The trip to the pier takes 30 to 60 minutes.
- The ferry to Koh Lipe leaves at 1 pm daily during the high season and takes approximately two hours to reach the island. There is no pier on Koh Lipe, and travellers will need to transfer to a longtail boat to get to the island at an additional cost of 50 baht.
How to Get to Koh Lipe
- Ferries to Koh Lipe are available year round, with multiple ferries departing every day during the high season. Learn more about getting to Koh Lipe from Hat Yai, Krabi and other nearby areas in our How To Get To Koh Lipe guide.