As one of Thailand’s most popular islands, it’s easy to get to Koh Phangan from Bangkok and other major destinations in the country. From Bangkok, the trip to Koh Phangan can take just two hours by air and ferry, or as long as 16 hours using rail, bus and ferry transport.
Haadrin Queen, the ferry from Samui to Koh Phangan © travelourplanet
There are several ways to get to Koh Phangan. The first is by air and ferry, using either Samui or Surat Thani Airport. The second is by bus and ferry from Bangkok and other major cities in Thailand. Finally, it’s possible to travel most of the way to Koh Phangan by train from Bangkok.
Below, we’ve listed the best ways to get to Koh Phangan, along with estimated travel times for each method.
Getting to Koh Phangan by Air
Travelling to Koh Phangan by air will be the quickest, easiest way to get to the island. While there is currently no airport on Koh Phangan (a domestic airport is under construction now and was slated to open in 2016 but is currently paused) there are two airports located a short ferry ride away from the island.
Samui International Airport
- Samui International Airport, on nearby Koh Samui, is the closest airport to Koh Phangan. Samui Airport is a privately owned airport operated by Bangkok Airways. As of 2015, the only airlines that offer domestic flights to Koh Samui are Bangkok Airways and Thai Airways.
- Flying to Koh Samui can be an expensive option, with tickets priced significantly higher than for other destinations in Southern Thailand. Check Skyscanner for the cheapest prices and flight times. However, it’s by far the fastest way to get to the island and avoids the need for a long bus and boat transfer.
- Domestic flights to Samui International Airport are available from Bangkok Suvarnabhumi, Krabi, Chiang Mai, Pattaya U-Tapao and Phuket. International flights are available on Berjaya Air and Firefly from Penang, Subang and Kuala Lumpur in Malaysia, and SilkAir from Singapore. Check Skyscanner for flight prices and times on all of these routes.
- Other international airlines that offer flights to Koh Samui codeshare with the above airlines from Bangkok’s Suvarnabhumi Airport.
Ferries from Samui International Airport
- There are two ways to get to Koh Phangan from Samui International Airport: by ferry from Bang Rak Pier, and by ferry from Nathon Pier. Bang Rak Pier is the closest to the airport and easiest to access. You can buy ferry tickets online from the 12Go website, as well as look up ferry timetables.
- Three ferries travel between Bang Rak Pier and Thong Sala Pier on Koh Samui daily. The first ferry leaves Koh Samui at 8:00am, the second at 1:00pm and the third at 4:30pm. It takes approximately 10 minutes to reach Bang Rak Pier from Samui Airport by taxi, at a cost of 300 to 500 baht. The ferry takes 30 minutes to reach Koh Phangan.
- Combined taxi and ferry tickets are available from the travel agents in the arrivals hall of Samui International Airport. Expect it to take about one hour to get from Samui Airport to the pier if you are flying in from outside of Thailand and need to make your way through passport control.
- Bang Rak Pier’s proximity to Samui Airport makes it the most convenient option for traveling to Koh Phangan. However, if your flight arrives too in the day to catch the 4:30pm ferry, you’ll need to catch the ferry from Nathon Pier to Koh Phangan.
- Nathon Pier is located on Koh Samui’s western coast. You’ll need to take a taxi from the airport to Nathon, which takes about 30 minutes and costs between 600 and 800 baht. The ferries from Nathon to Thong Sala depart at 11:00am, 11:15am, 1:30pm, 5:00pm, 5:30pm and 7:00pm.
Surat Thani Airport
- If you’d like to fly most of the way to Koh Phangan without paying the premium price for a ticket to Samui, a good alternative is to fly to Surat Thani. Surat Thani Airport is a regional airport that is located about four hours from Koh Phangan by bus and ferry.
- Flights to Surat Thani Airport are available on AirAsia, Nok Air and Thai Smile from Don Muang Airport in Bangkok, and on AirAsia from Chiang Mai. Check Skyscanner for flight prices and times. There are also international flights to and from Kuala Lumpur on AirAsia and several Chinese hub cities on Air China and Spring Airlines.
Ferries from Surat Thani Airport
- There is no direct ferry service from Surat Thani Airport to Koh Phangan. Instead, you’ll need to take a bus from Surat Thani Airport to Donsak Pier, then use the ferry to reach Thong Sala Pier on Koh Phangan.
- Combined bus and ferry tickets are available from the travel agencies in the arrivals hall of Surat Thani Airport, priced at 500 to 700 baht. You can also make your way to Donsak independently, although savings are minimal and the process can be time consuming and difficult.
- Ferries travel between Donsak Pier in Surat Thani and Koh Phangan every 30 to 90 minutes. It takes 90 to 150 minutes to reach Koh Phangan from Donsak. As there’s very little to do on the way, it’s best to bring a book to keep you occupied during the ferry trip. The last ferry of the day from Donsak to Koh Phangan departs at 6:00pm.
Getting to Koh Phangan by Bus
- Although Koh Phangan is a long way from Bangkok, it’s possible to travel most of the way to the island by bus. Buses also connect destinations like Phuket and Krabi with Donsak Pier in Surat Thani. Bus is usually the cheapest form of transportation for getting to Koh Phangan. Check the 12Go website for Koh Phangan bus prices and times.
- Buses from Bangkok to Surat Thani depart from Sai Tai Mai station every 30 to 60 minutes from 5am until 8pm. Tickets are available for purchase from the station — arrive about 30 minutes in advance to book a ticket for the next available bus.
- It takes 10 to 12 hours to reach Surat Thani from Bangkok. VIP, air conditioned and standard (fan only) buses are available. The most comfortable option is to take a night VIP bus, which gives you the option to sleep through most of the journey in reasonable comfort.
- Buses are also available from Khao San Road, although the quality of the vehicles is often very poor and theft is common. Many travellers report having their checked bags opened and wallets, cameras and other valuable items stolen during the trip.
- Onward bus and ferry travel to Koh Phangan is available from most travel agents, or from the Seatran Ferry office in Surat Thani.
Getting to Koh Phangan by Train
- It’s possible to travel most of the way to Koh Phangan by train. Although the train to Surat Thani is slow, it’s a more comfortable option than the public bus and is ideal for travellers that travel to Koh Phangan in a reasonable amount of comfort while spending as little as possible.
- The nearest station to Surat Thani is in Phun Phin, a district located 15 kilometres west of Surat Thani. Trains from Bangkok to Phun Phin leave Hua Lamphong station and make the journey in nine to 12 hours. Book an overnight sleeper ticket for the most comfortable trip. Check the 12Go website for train prices and times.
- From Surat Thani station, it takes about four hours to reach Koh Phangan. Bus transport to the pier at Donsak is available from the train station. The easiest way to reach Koh Phangan from Surat Thani station is to book a combined bus and ferry transfer ticket for 500 to 700 baht.
Travelling Between Koh Phangan and Other Islands
- Koh Phangan is located between Koh Samui and Koh Tao, making it easy to travel to the other islands in the region. Ferries connect all three islands frequently and allow you to move between the islands at a reasonable cost.
Getting to Koh Samui from Koh Phangan
- Ferries from Koh Phangan to Koh Samui depart from Thongsala Pier and take 30 minutes to get to Koh Samui’s Bang Rak Pier. There is also a high speed ferry operated by Lomprayah from Koh Phangan’s Thongsala Pier to Nathon Pier on Koh Samui.
Getting to Koh Samui from Koh Tao
- The Seatran Discovery ferry leaves Koh Tao three times daily at 6:30am, 9:00am, and 3:00pm, reaching Thong Sala Pier on Koh Phangan in 90 minutes. The ferry then continues to Bang Rak Pier on Koh Samui.
Buy Tickets To Koh PhanganYou can buy bus and ferry tickets to Koh Phangan online. Use the search box below to find out departure times, prices and to book online. Enter a different starting point if you're not coming from Bangkok
Koh Phangan Travel Guide:
- Koh Phangan – A Very Quick Travel Guide
- Full Moon Party Koh Phangan
- Drugs on Koh Phangan
- Full Moon Party Accommodation on Koh Phangan
- Things To Do On Koh Phangan
- Places To Eat On Koh Phangan
- Koh Phangan Villas For Rent
- Where To Stay On Koh Phangan
- Koh Phangan Day Trips
- Koh Phangan Weather
- How To Get To Koh Phangan
- Koh Phangan Airport
- Koh Phangan Beaches